Surprisingly, many ignore the SSL certificate connection to their site. However, this step is very important to ensure a high degree of resource protection in the constantly changing Internet environment.
So, why SSL site certificate, if you are already configured with network filters, monitoring systems and much more? The answer is simple: it organizes an encrypted communication channel so that the transmitted data can remain secure and not be stolen by third parties. The principle of operation of an SSL certificate is to exchange crypto keys between point A and point B, which can be read only by participants of this transaction.
Such protection allows you to engage in commercial activities on the Internet without any headaches, if we talk about the potential theft of data by third parties. Keys provide an adequate level of security and exclude interception of information.
So, the owners of online stores and other commercial sites do not need to ask the question “why do I need SSL specifically for me?”. Everything is obvious. In addition to improving the security of data transmission, customers with a high degree of confidence refer to resources on which a certificate is present.
How does the client understand that I have installed an SSL certificate?
This is defined very simply:
- Access to the site is provided by the https protocol;
- The address bar in the browser is highlighted in green;
- In front of the specified address in the line also appears a symbol with a green lock.
You have to understand that if a user or visitor of your site does not know about the existence of SSL certificates, then in any case he will pay attention to the relevant security notices. Red, green and gray in this sense are very helpful in filtering sites by reliability.
What if I use another certificate instead of SSL — TLS?
This issue is often confusing. And really, why is the SSL certificate for a site if one of the options is already installed on it? In fact, TLS is the same guarantee of site security, but only with the difference that it was released much later than the well-known SSL. The last one was published in 1990, therefore in the society of the IT industry, due to the habit of TLS, they are still associated with SSL.
What is the use of SSL and can I not connect it?
Suppose you are the owner of a commercial website that is supposed to generate a certain profit. You are definitely interested in her growing. So, for this you need to attract new customers / visitors / customers. Why do you need SSL and how will it be useful for this purpose? As we said earlier, a certificate enhances user confidence.
In addition to the obvious advantages in terms of security, you get guaranteed demand, which is based on a high degree of reliability of financial transactions. This is a strong motivation for the customer to buy something. Because many people refuse to purchase goods on an unfamiliar and unprotected site.
What can happen if there is no SSL certificate on the working site?
And the following can happen:
- Hackers have long learned to manipulate the tools of the site to redirect the purchases made. Moreover, they can redirect the buyer’s money to their own account.
- An attacker will not be difficult to obtain such critical data as the CVV code and the expiration date of the client’s bank card. This makes it possible to make purchases outside your store to the detriment of the customer.
- In addition to stealing data from bank cards, hackers can inject malware onto the site and regularly disrupt the operation of your resource.
- In addition to credit card data, hackers also target customers’ personal data, which they provide during the checkout process. Thus, they become a victim of various manipulations.
If you still do not understand why an SSL certificate is needed for a site, think about your clients. Take care of their safety. Believe me, this will pay off not only with high confidence, but also conversion into profits.